Sunday, February 6, 2011

Making Baby Food


I make most of the boys food. I will buy organic food if it's on sale for the convenience but most of the time they seem to like what I make more. It's been very easy. Usually one night a week I will whip up a couple batches.


When I first started I would mainly buy organic frozen produce, steam it and throw it in the food processor. This time of year is lame for fresh produce here. We did alot of squash, apples, spinach, peas and carrots... and blueberries and pears.


Now, I've made them roasted banana and brown rice mash and veggie mash (potatoes, carrots, peas and green beans). Making their food has become more fun with the different techniques and combinations. It's also forced me to look at the way we eat. We're typically pretty healthy eaters but I have been so careful to not add salt to their food and sometimes I'll find myself chowing down on some crap while feeding them an organic salt free puree and then I think, "what the hell?"
But that's a whole other story!
The saving has been significant and that makes it worth it alone! I also love knowing exactly what they're eating and not dealing with a bunch of wasted containers. I just freeze their food, pop it out, wash containers and repeat!


2 comments:

  1. I did that too (for my first 3 kids...poor Boo Boo!!!) Food tasted and smelled SO fresh and it was wonderful knowing exactly what they were eating :) Great job, Mama!!!

    Beck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! It's inspiring to see that you are making your own baby food. I can totally relate to reacting to the taste of something salt-less. :)

    ReplyDelete