Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Reflecting

Four years ago at this time we got engaged. We had been talking about it for awhile. I lured Bri down to Appleton to look at rings. I found one I loved that was in our price range. The man took us outside and let us examine the loose stones in the sunlight- it was magical!
The next day Bri asked what my ring size was- very sneaky! ;)
Then about a week later he said he had to run an errand to Appleton- he is so good at secrets- yeah right!
I told him, I knew what he was doing and would love to go along for the ride. So, off we went to pick up my ring. Then as we drove back, Bri asked if he should do something special. I made some sarcastic comment. Then he stopped at the park in De Pere and walked me to a bench. He told me he always knew that I would be his wife and that he wanted to my husband. He looked forward to the dreams we would support, the family we would create and all the laughs we would share. I don't even think I said yes- I probably called him a cheeseball and put my ring on!

Three years ago at this time we were planning our wedding. We couldn't wait to be married. We had always felt married but now it would be official! Bri was finishing up college and I had started a new job as a floral designer. Life was good. We were renting a friends home on the bay. We closed most days with massages in the hot tub as the sun set. We welcomed mornings will a little puppy whining to go outside- Mabelle had just joined our family! We talked about family and I told him I was pretty sure I wanted to abandon birth control once we were married. He was not too keen on the idea.

Two years ago, we were happily married. We didn't sit still! We had just bought our home in April and spent every moment working on it. When we moved in it was beige, with ivory! Now there is no beige in sight! We worked so well together- painting cupboards, installing lights, and ripping out carpet (my favorite!). Now we had this perfect little home.

One year ago, we were settled, too settled. Brian had just started a new job, a good one. I had started a club, The Crafty Bitches. The ladies would come over and do projects, drink, eat and gab. We were so happy and so fulfilled, yet something(s) was missing. I started talking to Brian about adoption. We had not found ourselves pregnant yet so I thought it might be a good idea to start saving. August 24th, I got my period again. I remember reaching for the tampon in my purse and wondering what it would be like to not get it. Then as the end of September approached, we were getting ready for a party. I realized I hadn't had my period. I grabbed a test and peed on it. It showed two lines immediately. I ran out of the bathroom and yelled down to Bri, "I'm f!@#(*% pregnant!!!!!" He yelled back, "No way." I then said, "Oh my God" about 1,000 times and called my mom and my friend, Laura.

We went to the party and I don't even remember it. I was 15 days pregnant and ecstatic!!!! My co-worker Sandy was there, and for the last week I was telling her how my boobs hurt like crazy and in her sweet southern accent she said, "You're pregnant, I just know it, you are."

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful memories. I can't wait to read the next post.

    ReplyDelete